I don’t think I can be considered a “frugal person” by any means, but there is just something in me that has trouble spending upwards of five dollars for a cup of coffee. Don’t get me wrong, I love to treat myself from time to time, but my afternoon latte is more of a daily thing.
I know many people make coconut milk lattes at home, but it was only recently that I discovered how to do it. Not owning a fancy coffee machine (or anything besides a basic coffee maker), I thought lattes were a luxury I would have to pay someone to make.
How wrong I was!
This method of making a DIY Starbucks coconut milk latte is such an amazing and easy option for days when you either can’t leave the house or just don’t want to spend a million dollars for a hot beverage.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase, I make a small commission (at no cost to you!).
What do you need to make a DIY Starbucks coconut milk latte at home?
All you need is:
- a mason jar with tight-fitting lid
- a cup of strong coffee or espresso
- coconut milk (canned)
- sweetener of choice
- microwave or other heating element (stovetop works too)
Here’s how to make a DIY Starbucks Coconut Milk Latte
First, brew some strong coffee. Then, pour coconut milk into the mason jar and add your sweetener and vanilla.
Note: Before you open the canned coconut milk, be sure you shake it up really good. As coconut milk sits on the grocery shelf (and in your pantry), the cream and the liquid separate in the can, so it just needs to be shaken back together before opening.
Then, heat the coconut milk in the microwave (with the lid off) for 20 seconds. Of course, you could also heat it on the stove. (You just want to warm it, not get it screaming hot.)
Next, affix lid and shake for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Finally, pour into your cup of coffee, using a spoon to scoop the foam onto the top.
I love how simple this method for making at home lattes is and I relied on it for a very long time. If you like them and you want another tool to make the milk even creamier and frothier, you can do what I did and get a milk frother. (I have this one.)
DIY Starbucks Coconut Milk Latte
- mason jar with tight-fitting lid
- coffee maker (regular coffee maker, french press, etc.)
- 1 cup coffee, about 8 ounces
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, canned (not carton)
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- sweetener, to taste
- Brew strong coffee and pour into mug.
- Pout coconut milk into mason jar and add vanilla and sweetener.
- Keeping the lid off, heat coconut milk for about 20 seconds in microwave so that it is warm, not screaming hot.
- Remove from microwave, affix lid and shake for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour into coffee, spooning foam over the top.
- You can add a dusting of cinammon, nutmeg or even cocoa powder to top it off!